Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Host padres

A lot of study abroad programs place students in a host family, where you are provided food and a place to stay. All host family situations differ. I will never forget my host parents, or my experience living with them. Filo and Diego were the cutest 4'6", sixty year old Spanish couple I had ever met. Diego worked in an olive farm (olive cultivation is a prominent industry in Granada), and Filo was a housewife. They were very kind and hospitable, and they smiled as I struggled to understand their thick andalucian accents, often having to repeat themselves several times. "¿QuĂ©?" became a common response of mine. Even though it took a solid few days before they semi-comprehended my name, I eventually became fond of their pronunciation (May-gaa). I had to assure them that there was no Spanish version of my name; the name "Megan" doesn't really exist in the Spanish language, hence the confusion everytime I introduced myself to a Spaniard. But we eventually settled into a routine and a comfortable relationship. Filo cooked delicious meals and did all of my laundry, they were very helpful when I had questions about Granada, and they allowed me to be independent. "Voy a salir," (pretty much every night), to which Filo responded "Bueno. .Lo que quiere'. .te pasa bien," always seeming to encourage my busy social life. She also complemented me often on my appearance and clothing choices. "Ah, te pone' muy guapa. ." Honestly, I couldn't ask for kinder host padres; I will always remember the generosity that Filo and Diego showed me while living in their apartment on Camino de Rhonda.



No comments:

Post a Comment