Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The city of pomegranates

In 2011, Brittany and I were lucky enough to spend six months studying in Granada, Spain. We want to share our experiences and observations from our time spent there, hopefully to convince future study abroad prospectives that Granada is absolutely the most spectacular place on earth, and worth spending at least a few months exploring.

It's hard to remember myself on that first night arriving in what was to be my new home, an anxious, excited, wide-eyed gringa still running on adrenaline from the 40 hour journey from Detroit to Granada. But I can say with confidence that I loved Granada from the very first minute I arrived, which is not exactly difficult, as anyone who has visited the city knows.

Granada is Spanish for pomegranate, which is why you will find the design of the fruit adorned in the streets, statues, and fountains around town. On my last day in Granada I bought a small pomegranate pendant that I still wear almost everyday as a reminder of this wonderful place and time in my life. We took away a lot of memories from this city, like little pomegranate seeds that we will carry with us forever. Granada will forever hold a little piece of my heart.





Megan and I left for Granada, Spain, on January 11, 2011. I remembered our flight was delayed in Chicago. I worried that once my group got to Madrid we would not have a way to contact the group of Michigan students flying into Granada from Detroit, MI. When we got to the Madrid airport, we waited to see if we could catch the other group coming in from the other terminals. After an hour we decided to just go ahead to the bus station without them and just meet them in Granada. However, as fate would have it, while waiting for our bus to take us to Granada I looked to my right and saw a girl with 3 HUGE suitcases....I thought to myself that seems like just about as much as Megan would pack. Sure enough fate had gotten megan's group from Detroit to the bus station just in time to make the same bus as us to Granada. This is how I would describe my entire semester in Spain: fate. I hope that this blog will not only teach readers about Spain and Spanish culture, but also serve as a commentary about the simple joys in life and living life to its fullest. 




No comments:

Post a Comment